The University of Pittsburgh has received its CARES Act funding from the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $10.6 million. These funds provide direct emergency assistance for Pitt students. Pitt's goal is to assist students with the greatest need, in accordance with federal guidelines. These students include:
- Undergraduate students who received a Spring 2020 Federal Pell Grant;
- Undergraduate students who did not receive a Spring 2020 Federal Pell Grant and who had unmet financial need;
- Graduate students who received a federal loan for spring term 2020 and who had unmet financial need;
- Graduate students whose summer stipend has been impacted (as verified by the Office of the Provost – Graduate Studies);
- Displaced student employees of Pitt's food service providers; and
- Resident Assistants who lost meal plan access.